That's the news from the top...I can't do things in a row. Meaning, I can't go to lunch and then a movie, or go to work and then try to write, or watch a mindless television program and then watch another mindless television program without taking a 2-3 hour nap in between the activities. This was brought to my attention(with much love) over dinner last night when I began to lay out my elaborate plan involving working a 9-5 job and (gasp) trying to get school work done when I get home. The table pretty much burst into hysterical laughter, with one person yelling "You can't do things in a row!" It was a simple statement, but I feel like it sums up my life pretty accurately. Is it the sedatives? Is it some sort of deep character flaw? When I tried to explain that I needed to learn how to do "things in a row" because I have to work a full-time job this summer and I have to get my qualifying papers done, I was met with this stark reality : "You're almost 30 years old! You can't learn a new behavior now!"...or something to that effect. If that's true, that's the most horrifying bit of news I've received in a long time(well, probably since last weekend, when I found JB's blog)...and I think it just might be true. Which is going to make my life pretty difficult. If I ever get a job as a professor(which is unlikely, what with all the napping...I have to do the PhD first and then make it to the interviews), am I going to have to pass out in between my class and office hours? Are students going to find me sleeping? Do I have narcilepsy or is life just really, really hard? Or is it just really hot? I don't even really want to know the answers to these questions....
9-5 starts tomorrow. I want to give a good description, but I figured I'd wait because I don't really know what the job is....I find that's the best way to go into a new employment situation, no?
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I sure to wish you luck!! LOL, u r too fucking funny
You have to stop taking these smart ass comments seriously! If I stop flicking you shit is when you might consider getting worried. Besides, it's fun to torture you in public. It almost made up for our other dinner mate positing that dinosaurs and people may have coexisted...I had no words to sincerely respond to that. No words.
Oh sorry, am I supposed to make up a handle?
That's what happens when you shun science,Amanda/Kandy Kane. You may start to believe that dinosaurs and people could have possibly co-existed...she also believes the moon is made of green cheese...
I love science, love it!!
Can we make topic requests? I'm interested in hearing about your new job.
And how did blogger know my name in the first place, that's creepy.
Comments are TOTALLY for topic requests, so request away. And, Kandy Kane, Blogger may have known your real name because it works through gmail?
gmail knows more about me than anyone else ever will.
Post a Comment